very hesitant acceleration

Technical questions and discussion

Moderator: Moderators

very hesitant acceleration

Postby ebrewer89 » Fri Mar 15, 2013 4:46 pm

hi guys the last week or so my gpx manual has been very reluctant to accelerate when using any more than partial throttle,it idles fine and have checked and cleaned stepper motor ,put it on diagnostics and found no fault.it wasnt a gradual thing it just started doing it one night when i started it.inoticed the fuel pump was quite buzzy could that be my problem?ive been told my 3 mechanics to bring it to a main dealer but id rather not.any advice would be great thanks,im pulling my hair out atm :cry: :cry:
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Re: very hesitant acceleration

Postby goz_83 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:15 pm

The main dealers won't have a clue either. Most of them will have never seen an fto. You can PM Stewy to ask if it happened before, but i'm sure he will post her within the next 24 hours to say hello and welcome. I have no idea what it might be, but the best man for the job is in Dublin; Paul Nolan.
97 Manual GPX. Icecelle Blue.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:39 pm

thanks for the reply Goz_83,yes that was my fear with the main dealers not knowing wat they are looking at lol.wil pm stewy later and see if he has any ideas aswel.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby CJ » Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:29 pm

Sounds like a fuel supply issue. I'd get the pump checked out and change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done any time recently. I'd also check for spark / plug condition.
CJ
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby MY-JAP-MISTRESS » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:01 pm

could it be the alt? heard mivec's throw up problems like this wen they start going
MY-JAP-MISTRESS
FTO is my life
FTO is my life

Postby StewyD32 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Thought It could be the steeper but if you cleaned it it should have solved that problem.
Might be going with CJ on this and go for a fuel issue. Never had any problems like that with her when I had her and I don't think the fuel filter was changed last time if I can recall correctly. The only problem I had was a small problem at the start when I bought her stalling coming up to lights but it was the stepper, cleaned it and was all good after that
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby ebrewer89 » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:16 pm

How would i go about checking the pump?would i need to get a pressure test done or is there an easier way?no the fuel filter hasn't been changed that i know about anyway so that is def on my list to do along with plugs, but they are iridium plugs that are in and would not of thought they would need changing yet.alternator seems fine havent had ne problems with starting or a change under more load,volt meter reads perfect.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Sat Mar 16, 2013 11:03 pm

This isn't a normal symptom of an alternator failure (I have had several). You sound like you are sure the plugs were replaced with iridium so I would rule this out as well.

Fuel filter is a very cheap replacement - do this now. If the problem still exists then probably the pump is the next port of call.

Sounds like a very spirited drive wouldn't be a bad idea either. Cane it up to the redline a couple of times in second and see if anything changes at all.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:00 pm

will be getting a fuel filter on Tuesday when the motor factors open.Will try the spirited drive but it really does not like revving up high.feels like i am killing it just taking it as far as mivec with the struggle.it is also alot worse for the first minuet or two when you start the car.Not sure why?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby goz_83 » Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:43 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:it is also alot worse for the first minuet or two when you start the car.Not sure why?

I reckon that's the engine getting up to optimum running temperature, which uses more fuel, so it's pointing toward a fuel issue alright.
Other Stuff: Induction kit. Front Strut. Apex Lowered. 17" Kahns. Quad exhaust. HID lights. Glow dials and rings/cups. Black leather seats. Window tints. Sunroof.
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby StewyD32 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 9:03 am

Kinda what goz said.
The micev only kicks in then the engine reaches a designated temperature for the mivec to initiate as far as I know.
Was said on here a few times as far as I recall.
Silver 97 Mirage Asti V coupe
Burgundy 95 GR
Silver 95 GPX
StewyD32
Full Throttle Owner!
Full Throttle Owner!

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 6:45 pm

just changed fuel filter.what a lovely job to do, so much space behind there :evil: car seems the same no real difference that i can tell.maybe slightly better but still struggling alot.next step is walbro fuel pump im thinking
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby Kace » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:57 pm

Before you go off and do the fuel pump now, make sure you do a good search on here as well as FTOAustralia and FTOOC in the UK. Surely someone has had the same issue and they have oceans more FTOs than we do here.
| Silver 95 GPX Manual | 20 years MIVEC experience |
| Silver 09 Audi A5 | 2.0 TDI quattro S-Line Special Edition |
| Blue 04 Audi A4 Avant | 1.9 TDI S-Line | (wifemobile)
Kace
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm

Have already purchased a walbro pump there this eve.i thought it was a worthwhile purchase anyway even if it doesn't cure the hesitation, but fingers crossed.have had a search on fto Australia and havent found anything similar with the same symptoms but it wasn't a very thorough search.ill have another look tonight
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:38 pm

hi guys.got the new fuel pump today and put it in,car has been very bad the last couple of days and now i have put in the new pump it wont start. there is no power getting to the pump????what the hell has gone wrong now?where can i find the fuel pump relay or fuses or am i looking in the wrong direction now altogether
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:44 pm

Maybe a silly question but how did U test there no power going to the fuel pump? Volt meter?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:52 pm

after i fitted the pump and had it all plumbed back in turned the ignition and nothing from the pump.i took it all apart again thinking maybe i had bought a dodgy pump and tested it with a 9v battery and it was fine.tryed the old pump and then again the new pump both in the car all wired up and am not getting any flow or buzz from either.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:58 pm

Ok so maybe the relays need checking or the fuel pump loom got damaged?

Have U manual for it? Im not sure where on FTO are the relays for fuel pump but on my mirage they buried under the stereo.
Maybe there a fuse for it that got blown?
Only one ever build 1.3 turbo Fto, 0.7 bar on stock internals...because your imagination is the only boundary :)
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:04 pm

yes i think its a dodgy relay that has been my problem all along and have the relay out now,as you said it is buried under the cd player bolted to the dash brackets.its an 8 pin plug tho so not sure how to test with a multimeter.
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:50 pm

how much do mitsi charge for a new fuel pump relay?or has anyone got a spare one for sale?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:41 am

ebrewer89 wrote:how much do mitsi charge for a new fuel pump relay?or has anyone got a spare one for sale?

There ya go:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/MITSUBISHI-FTO-F ... 35c13a5dae

Could be that the ECU is the problem lad, pull it out and open the cover to see are the capacitors ok. If they rated 105 C degree U have nothing to worry about. One thing ruled out at least :D
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Postby goz_83 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:43 am

When its all done, you'll be we'll proud of yourself and you might have a spare used fuel pump :)
goz_83
Forever Ticking Over
Forever Ticking Over

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:20 pm

ringing around now for a new relay to see if i can get 1 today if not will be buying that one on ebay and hoping for the best.will try checking the ecu as well.yes have a spare fuel pump if its any good to any one? :D will be VERY happy when its all going good again.Timing belt is next job to do now i think.im thinking of possibly selling when all is done but i will prob change my mind as soon as i drive it again and its running right .
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby ebrewer89 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:11 pm

How do i test the fuel pump relay?
ebrewer89
FTO nut!
FTO nut!

Postby brccrx » Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:19 pm

ebrewer89 wrote:How do i test the fuel pump relay?

Have U volt meter? Test does the 12v reach the relay block connector first when U turn Your ignition to on position, U will rule out the relay itself if there no power going trough!

I'll try to dig out some more info now!

Have U FTO manual ? If not try this:

https://www.google.ie/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... 0eG4X1pJkA
brccrx
FTO is my new religion
FTO is my new religion

Next

Return to FTO Technical